All the cool fics have them but I’m not cool but I love music so I’m just going to write one for my own fic. Also I’m a guitarist and a metal head.
1. Replica by Sonata Arctica - Prometheus’ theme (this is the reason behind the fact that I have this minor personal head canon that Wheatley can sing. Because if I do find the stupid metal ball hot, if I think of him sounding like Tony Kakko, OMGOMGOMG Sexiest voice ever.) But honestly, it’s a song that is a lament from a soldier trying to find himself in a world. You have to read it a bit more ironically but it works.
2. Mr. Crowley by Ozzy Osbourne is Caroline’s theme. I think there’s some of Cave Johnson tied up in that. But the tragedy that was Caroline is right here.
3. Hold On To Yourself by Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds - I’m going to preempt this by saying first of all that you owe it to yourself to make a play list on your ipod or computer or something of power metal. And right in the middle of it - shove this song and the next in the middle of it. Nick Cave and Johnny Cash in general. It legitimately makes you feel mighty. I initially thought this song was M’s but no, Only one lyric applies. It’s really Chell’s.
4. God’s Gonna Cut You Down - Johnny Cash - This is Cave Johnson’s theme proper. M’s future this might be a good song for her but this is the other song that I recommend listening to in the midst of a buttload of power metal.
5. Fear of the Dark - Iron Maiden - I just love this song for Caroline and her presence in this story…and I’ve played this song on the guitar and listened to it and it’s on my playlist for when I go running…and Iron Maiden just makes this song fabulous. It really is the bestest song Iron Maiden’s ever done and I think it is ‘teh secks’ to quote the Monarch that I have a reason to include it on this playlist.
6. The Roof Is On Fire - Bloodhound Gang - THIS is M’s theme. I just love the deadpan way the lyrics are delivered. That’s her. Especially the bit about going to hell and ‘burn mother fucker burn’.
7. The End of this Chapter - Sonata Arctica - I was going to have more Sonata Arctica in here and I think it’d really literally be a better song for NotLW but that’s only if you take the intro at face value. I see it as the way that Chell and Wheatley interact - he’s trying to make her trust him and right now she sees it as uber creepy. But it doubles for NotLW. Also this is one of the first songs I played with the gentleman who is the inspiration for Prometheus or I suppose the way I see Wheatley - he’s tall and has the white blonde hair and is rather skinny but the way we did this that we did do the intro - I play guitar and he plays keyboard/piano and we hardwired a mic into my phone….you see how this went. I walked up to the stage and picked up the guitar…It was a cool trick. By the way he can’t do a death metal growl despite my best efforts to teach him. It’s okay I do all the growling.
8. What Have You Done - Within Temptation - Chell and Wheatley and their rocky relationship. I wish I could find the version I really like - the one that’s guitar heavy but ugh can’t. This isn’t a horrid version.
9. Nemo - Nightwish - Rose’s theme - the way she’s treated by her father and M and what she finds in Space.
10. The Devil Is a Loser (And He’s My Bitch) - Lordi - This is Wheatley and his fate and all he has to deal with in Prometheus. Plus it’s a ridiculously fun song to rock out to.
Bonus tracks: anything by Amon Amarth.And just Sonata Arctica. Especially anything where Tony Kakko sings.